Paint for metal fence
Painting a metal fence – is a necessary measure, because in spite of the strength of the metal needs protection from the aggressive effects of the environment: precipitation, temperature changes, and so on.
In addition, painted fences always have a presentable, well-groomed appearance, beautifully framing a summer house or a solid cottage.
Also read: How to choose a paint to paint a metal door?
How many choices do you have?
There are a lot of painting products on sale, for every taste and budget. However, guided in the choice should be technical characteristics of the composition, because the paint should be suitable to work with the material from which the fence, has protective and decorative properties. What paint to paint a metal fence – consider the options.
Blacksmith paint – stylish and durable
Universal material that forms a coating of increased reliance on the structures of any metal, including non-ferrous and their alloys, cast iron, steel, and galvanized iron. Painted with a blacksmith paint fence will last more than a dozen years without showing signs of deterioration. The surface will be resistant to mechanical damage, high humidity, ultraviolet radiation, and drastic temperature changes.
Forge paints have a number of advantages:
- The material is easy to work with;
- One layer of the applied compound dries within one hour (it is very fast!);
- The paint masks minor surface imperfections;
- The composition perfectly adheres to the substrate;
- The coating turns out decorative.
By the way, it is worth talking about decorativeness in more detail. When using blacksmith paints, you can get several effects to choose from:
- painting “in gold, silver, bronze, copper or platinum”,
- painting the surface “antique,” and even options such as antique silver with green, accents in the form of highlights, and other artistic techniques are possible.
Thus, an ordinary fence made of metal bars or an old cast-iron structure turns into an elegant and stylish work of art with a few strokes of the owner’s hand!
When choosing forge paint for fence decoration, you should buy the same brand of primer and solvent so that the material does not lose its valuable qualities: strength, characteristic gloss, and reliable adhesion to the surface.
When using cheaper or randomly selected compositions, there is a high probability of disappointment in the result.
The material should be applied after preparing the surface:
- cleaning of dirt or flaking old coatings,
- degreasing with a solvent,
Work can be done with a paintbrush, roller, or paint sprayer.
The cost of forge paint, compared to other materials, is quite high, but the quality of coverage justifies the expense. If the budget allows, you can not look for a better option.
Hammer paint – expensive and reliable
Another win-win option for painting any metal fence. It is especially relevant for surfaces that are prone to rust or already corroded. Hammer paint coating will provide reliable and durable protection for your wrought iron fence, corrugated board fence, or cast iron fence:
- on the surface will not remain a trace even from heavy blows with a heavy object;
- paint will not crack under the influence of high summer temperatures or winter frosts;
- the color will not fade over time;
- atmospheric phenomena in the form of precipitation is also not afraid of the hammered paint.
By painting the product with this material, you can not only significantly extend its life, but also ennoble its appearance. The coating will resemble artistic forging, with traces of hammering. This effect gives the maximum opportunity to hide surface imperfections and smooth out irregularities.
It is noteworthy that hammer paints have pronounced anti-corrosive properties, which allow you to apply them directly to rust. The active substances in the material stop the destructive process and strengthen the metal structure, protecting it from the damaging effects of moisture for at least 10-15 years. The manufacturers also give a 25-year warranty on the coating.
There is no need for priming and removal of grease stains before applying the hammered paint. Oil stains are neutralized by the material itself, and the degree of adhesion with metal is so high that it allows doing without additional means.
Peculiarities of working with hammer paint
The application of the material does not require any complex equipment or professional skills, but a few points must be taken into account:
- Clean the fence from contamination can be cleaned with soapy water, this is quite enough;
- If you decide to use a paint roller, you should not opt for a tool with a foam coat, because the nitro-based paint will simply “eat”;
- To paint the product, it is better to put it horizontally, and the paint is poured on the surface in small portions and brushed with a roller (when painting vertically coverage will be deprived of the “hammer” effect, and the paint will flow and lie down correctly);
- It is convenient to paint complicated constructions with a brush, in this case, the paint should be applied abundantly, especially – in hard-to-reach places, and the brushes should be of excellent quality;
- The layer must be applied quickly, not painting the same place twice, as this will lead to visual defects;
- An electric paint gun does not have enough power to work with hammered paint, but the pneumatic one will do quite well if you hold it at the right angle and spray the product evenly, completely covering every spot.
Given that the hammered paint is based on nitro solvent, it is recommended to work under respiratory and eye protection.
Affordable and familiar – acrylic paint
Acrylic-based compounds are suitable for painting metal fences, although the protective properties are somewhat inferior to blacksmith and hammer paint. Nevertheless, these aqueous dispersions are in high demand in the market of finishing materials due to the following qualities:
- the coating lasts 5-8 years;
- It is elastic and does not crack, does not crumble;
- resistant to UV light retains its original color;
- contains corrosion-resistant additives, and protects the metal from rust.
Acrylic paints are environmentally friendly materials. Having water as a solvent, they are non-toxic and fire-safe. Among the rich variety of compositions, you can find variants of increased strength, and resistance to severe mechanical damage.
Working with acrylic paints
To obtain a high-quality and durable coating, before applying the material, the surface must be prepared:
- Wash and clean from dirt;
- Remove the layer of old paint;
- Remove oil stains and rust;
- Apply a layer of primer with an anti-corrosive component.
Only after that, it is time to start painting. The acrylic composition can paint a fence made of corrugated board, galvanized metal, cast iron, and non-ferrous metals. Any tools will be suitable for the work: brushes, rollers or paint sprayer.
The material is practically odorless and has no toxic components, so protection is required only from splashes. The compound can be easily washed off with water.
Rubber paint – unexpected, but possible
Acrylic emulsion based on water dispersion with synthetic acrylate latex. Aluminum galvanized and ordinary steel, profiled sheeting and other types of surfaces can all be coated with rubber paint, providing the surface with a decorative coating of increased strength and wear resistance.
- environmentally friendly and fire-resistant;
- the highest elasticity;
- resistance to any external influences, including chemical;
- protection against mold.
To paint a metal fence with rubber paint and get a long-term effect will only be possible if:
- completely clean the product from rust, oil stains, old paint, and other contaminants;
- sanded to matte (applies to glossy surfaces);
- coat with rust-preventive compound and insulating primer.
Painting is done with a brush, foam roller, or paint sprayer. It is recommended to apply the material in at least two or three thin layers, letting each of them dry for 2-4 hours.
Alkyd paint – if they paint decks, it will do for the fence?
The material is well suited for work on galvanized metal, as it has a high degree of adhesion. The coating forms a strong film that is resistant to abrasion and moisture. Alkyd paint dries pretty fast, but at the same time emits a lot of toxic substances, so the presence of a mask when working with it is necessary.
Unfortunately, the product does not belong to the category of fire-resistant, because it contains purified kerosene as a solvent. However, when painting, it does not form runs, and lays an even layer, providing the surface a neat look.
Good old oil paint
Choosing what paint to cover the fence, gives preference to an oil composition should be if the budget for finishing work is very limited. Oil paint is good for painting metal structures indoors because it has excellent anti-corrosive properties (absolutely does not transmit moisture), but outdoors, under the influence of temperature fluctuations, such coverage will not last long.
The film formed by oil paint after drying is not elastic, and therefore quickly cracked. In addition, under sunlight, the painted surface will soon fade and turn yellow.
Expensive, but in some cases possible
Powder paint for metal fence – a coating “for the ages” if the painting takes place in industrial production conditions. The fact is that after spraying dry dye on the surface, the part must be placed in a special furnace, where under the influence of high temperature the material will melt and “bake”. In terms of its protective properties, such a coating surpasses even the blacksmith’s paint.