What to paint the ceiling in the bathroom?
The most common way to finish the ceiling in the bathroom is by painting. Of course, you can decorate it with modern finishing materials – plastic panels, stretch and suspended structures, but painting the ceiling in the bathroom has a number of advantages, thanks to which this way of finishing remains relevant.
As the advantages of painting the ceiling in the bathroom, you can highlight the following factors:
- The cost of materials and the work itself is significantly less.
- Restore or change the color of the coating can almost at any time, without resorting to complex repair work.
- For a small bathroom, painting in light colors is ideal, because it visually increases the room.
- The height of the room is not reduced, as when using different ceiling structures (suspended and stretch ceilings).
It is no secret that the bathroom is a room with high humidity. It is because of the impact of moisture on the surface of the ceilings and walls of various microorganisms that multiply (mold, fungi), the finish itself eventually falls into disrepair and peels from the base.
Therefore, the question of what paint to paint the ceiling in the bathroom is quite relevant for apartment owners who have decided to decorate and protect the ceiling surface by painting.
In general, the paint composition for rooms with high humidity must meet certain requirements. Namely:
- Be resistant not only to moisture in the air, but also to counteract the direct ingress of water.
- On the treated surface must not develop microorganisms (fungi, mold, etc.).
- The coating must, if necessary, be washable with synthetic detergents.
- The coating must be environmentally friendly.
Types of ceiling paints for rooms with high humidity
Currently, there are three most used types of paints for the ceiling in the bathroom, and which of them is better to use, depends on both the quality indicators of the paint composition and on the preferences of the owner of the apartment.
Paint acrylic latex. To date, the use for painting the ceiling in the bathroom acrylic paint compositions is the most affordable option, as their cost is much lower compared to silicate and silicone, but in quality coverage (water repellent properties, strength, durability) they are almost as good as they are. In addition, acrylic compositions have a good advantage: small cracks in the base (up to 1 millimeter) with a two-coat coating becomes invisible.
Silicate paints. Silicate paints are durable and also prevent the development of mold and mildew, which means that when using them there is no need to use various antiseptics.
Silicone paints. It is a comparatively new paint material combining all the advantages of acrylic and silicate paints (water vapor permeability, moisture resistance, durability, etc.). Besides, silicone paints for bathrooms repel dirt which gives the chance to simplify the process of sanitary cleaning of the premise. Also, thanks to the high degree of elasticity, they are able to close microcracks up to 2 millimeters in size. The only disadvantage of such paints is their high cost.
Selecting paint by color and degree of light reflection
After figuring out the preferred type of paint for the ceiling in the bathroom, it is necessary to select the paint composition by the color that matches the overall appearance of the room, as well as by light-reflective properties.
Traditionally, white paint is used for ceilings in the bathroom and in other rooms, but it is not necessary. Nowadays, more and more often different shades of paint are used, selecting them in such a way that they harmonize with the walls and flooring.
When choosing a color, it should be taken into account that dark tones visually reduce the room and therefore they are not suitable for small rooms. In the case of a bathroom, which is rarely large, it is better to use light shades, such as beige, lettuce, lilac.
In fact, you can create a suitable color yourself by adding the appropriate tint to the paint.
Once you have chosen a suitable color, you must select the paint in terms of reflectivity. According to this indicator, paints are divided into matte, deep matte, and glossy. Each of them has its own characteristics:
- Matte and deep matte paint composition when used for the ceiling in the bathroom is able to hide visible surface defects.
- Glossy coating, on the contrary, will emphasize all the defects and, therefore, when using glossy paint, the base must be perfectly aligned. The advantage of glossy paints is that the light reflecting from their surface visually increases the size of the room. In addition, glossy surfaces are easier to clean.
Materials and tools
In addition to the fact that the right quality paint will be purchased, you also need to take care of additional materials and tools. To repair the ceiling in the bathroom will require the following materials:
- Cement or gypsum plaster. Will be needed in case of large defects on the surface (chips of old plaster, large cracks).
- Two types of putty – starting and finishing.
- Primer with antifungal effect.
You will also need tools, without which you can hardly do without:
- Roller (preferably with a pile, not foam rubber).
- A tub for paint.
- A container for plaster mortar and putty.
- A mixer nozzle on an electric drill for mixing the mortar and stirring the paint (optional).
- Two trowels (wide and narrow).
- Brushes (narrow and wide).
- Fine sandpaper.
Before you start painting the ceiling surface in the bathroom, you must carefully remove the old paint from it. Then, with a plaster mortar, makeup all the major defects.
After the plaster dries, a primer is applied, and only after that, using spatulas, putty is applied (first the starting putty, and after it dries the finishing putty).
Between the starting and finishing coats of putty is also applied priming compound.
When the finishing putty dries, the surface is sanded with sandpaper to make it perfectly smooth. At the end of the preparatory work, another layer of primer is applied. After the complete drying of the surface, you can proceed directly to the painting.
The process of painting the ceiling in the bathroom
The painting process itself is almost no different from the painting of ceilings in other rooms. That is, with the help of a short-waisted roller (it is advisable not to use a foam roller, as air bubbles may remain on the surface, and after drying they will spoil the appearance of the ceiling) the paint is applied to the surface. In areas where this procedure can not be done by roller, painted with a brush, but the paint composition is not smeared on the basis, and applied in dipping motions (to avoid stripes).
If desired, the ceiling can be painted with a spray gun. In this case, the surface will be even (without any streaks and streaks).
Typically, the paint composition is applied in two layers, a second coat is applied only after the previous one is completely dry.
As you can see, the ceiling in the bathroom to paint – not such a difficult task, and almost available to any home handyman. The quality and durability of the painting largely depend on the properly conducted preparatory work and the process of painting itself.
In addition, do not discount the quality of materials used. Therefore, it is desirable to buy the paint and related materials in specialized stores, rather than in bazaars.