Children’s musical instrument is a toy replica of real wind, percussion, keyboard, string instruments. Such toys develop hearing, sense of rhythm, help to reveal musical abilities of a child. With their help, you can even learn the music. In addition, playing the instruments gives a lot of fun and instills in your child a love of music.
Types of children’s musical instruments
Percussion instruments for children
Triangles, tambourines, drums, xylophones: all develop a sense of rhythm and have a positive effect on the child’s vestibular system.
Age: percussion is suitable for a one-year-old baby. Especially good for this age are jingles, which look like a rattle, as they are easy to hold in your hand. Xylophones and metallophones that plunge with their unusual sound into a fairy tale atmosphere are the best option for children ages 3-4. Older children will master the more difficult percussion instruments.
Wind (reed and pneumatic) instruments for children
Trumpets, harmoniums, blowpipes: the instruments contribute to the development of lungs and increase immunity, which strengthens the respiratory system of the baby. Playing the pipe well trains the vocal cords – so the child will learn to speak earlier and master their voice.
Age: are more difficult to learn, but the simplest of them, such as whistles and blowpipes are suitable for kids under 2 years old. The flute can be offered to a three-year-old child, and after a year – the trumpet and harmonica.
Keyboard instruments for children
Synthesizer, piano: especially good for developing fine motor skills and coordinated hand movement in young children.
Age: keyboard instruments are probably the most versatile. For example, you can pick up a synthesizer for a toddler as well as for older children. Instruments for the little ones are equipped with wide keys and have a backlight, and more complicated versions are closer to adult models.
Stringed instruments for children
Balalaikas, guitars, violins, an interesting option – a cimbala, in which the sound is extracted by striking the strings with wooden sticks. Such instruments are the best option for the development of fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination for older children.
Age: to master them, you need a fairly high level of fine motor skills. That’s why it makes sense to buy the guitar, balalaika, harp and harp before a child is 4-5 years old.
Tongued keyboard-pneumatic instruments for children
Accordions, accordions, accordions: these instruments are working well for the simultaneous complex movements of hands and fingers of a child.
Age: have a significant size and weight. While some accordions will be appropriate for three-year-olds, bayans and accordions are better for primary school age children.
In addition to these instruments, you should pay attention to microphones. They are useful for children who like to sing. For kids, a good choice will be an organ-grinder, which does not require any special skills, but is able to interest the child.
Important: there are sets of musical instruments designed for a particular age category. This makes it easier to choose the right musical toys.
Material for children’s instruments
Plastic children’s musical instruments are most common. They cost relatively inexpensive, but they can hardly be called durable and long-lasting. Wood – a natural and more expensive material, but such an instrument and will last longer.
There are musical instruments that are made of only one particular material, such as metal (harmonica, triangle).
Some instruments can be made of different materials, such as a whistle. In this case, it is preferable to choose a wooden or ceramic musical instrument rather than a plastic one. Similarly, a wooden guitar would be a more interesting and realistic option than a plastic one.
Tips for choosing children’s instruments
- The main requirement is safety. Musical instruments should be made of non-toxic materials and have no sharp corners. It is not advisable to buy instruments painted in too bright colors – this may indicate that the paint contains poisonous cadmium and lead.
- The tool should be packaged and have instructions for use.
- It is worth checking the operation of the tool. The keys and buttons should not give way too easily and should not jam. It is important that the sound comes out of the instrument immediately and not after some time.
- Pay attention to the sound of the musical instrument – only clear and gentle sound will be good for your baby’s hearing. Harsh, shrill and very loud sounds will frighten the child and adversely affect his or her hearing aid.
- It is preferable to buy a child’s musical instrument with your child present, since he/she will be playing it. Let your child blow the whistle or press the keys. In this way, he will choose an instrument to his liking.