Choice of paint material
The choice of paint material should be taken seriously because it directly affects the reliability of the coating, as well as the life of its service without loss of its original appearance. It is worth noting that before proceeding to the choice of material for painting, it is necessary to take into account – whether it will be the original painting or to repair the surface, which has previously been painted.
Particular attention requires facilities with old repairs. When you buy an apartment with an interior in the style of the second half of the 20th century, you often find there a kitchen or bathroom, painted with oil paint.
Choosing modern materials for repair, such as common acrylic paints, you have to decide what to do with the old finish, whether it needs to be removed or you can paint acrylic paint over oil paint. Let’s get to the bottom of this question.
Properties of acrylic and oil-based compositions
Let’s start by getting acquainted with the main characteristics of these two types of paint, in order to give the most accurate assessment of their compatibility.
This type of paint has held the leading position in the paint market for decades. Oil painting used to be used everywhere for painting inside and outside buildings.
After the beginning of the production of nitro enamels in our country, the popularity of oil compositions began to decline. Later production and sales of water-dispersion paintwork materials were mastered which displaced oil paints from their positions even more.
Today oil formulations are in less demand, but there are masters who still use this paint for a number of reasons:
- Inexpensive. Unlike their competitors, oil-based paint compositions are affordable to almost everyone, which distinguishes them from other types of paint. With a large volume of painting works, it is possible to significantly save the budget by choosing this material;
- Versatility. Oil compositions can paint any surfaces and structures inside and outside buildings. Oil compositions have an increased level of resistance to moisture, which can significantly extend the life of the painted surface;
- Ease of work. To carry out painting work does not need to have special knowledge and skills. All that is needed is a paintbrush or roller.
Practice shows that a large number of repairers who have no idea whether you can paint with acrylic paint over oil, repeatedly choose the oil-based paint composition. There is a common opinion among such consumers that there is no need to additionally prime and carry out additional preparation of the painted surface if it has already been treated with an oil-based paint material.
Besides their advantages, oil-based paints also have disadvantages:
- A small selection of colors. The entire color range is limited to a couple of dozen shades, which makes it difficult for designers to develop projects using oil-based compositions;
- Lack of durability. Over time, as a result of external factors, the paint layer will peel and crack. This problem can be eliminated by regular refreshing of the coating, which will incur additional costs;
- Low environmental friendliness. Walls that are painted with oil paint, for some time after the work emit a pungent, persistent smell into the atmosphere, which to a large extent can be harmful to human health. When working with this coating should take care in advance to comply with safety measures.
The main properties of acrylic compositions:
- Extensive range of different shades. It is possible to choose almost any color that the customer wishes;
- A high index of environmental friendliness. Unlike oil compositions, this paint material is absolutely harmless to health, in addition, even in the process of painting works, the specialist will practically not feel the smell;
- Long service life. This factor also advantageously distinguishes acrylic compositions from competitors. The surface painted with acrylic paint is able to retain its original appearance for many years.
How to apply acrylic paint over oil paint?
It is worth noting that it is possible to apply acrylic paint over oil paint.
The easiest and most effective solution to this issue is to use a special acrylic paint Apple Barrel. This material is universal and has excellent adhesion rates.
However, please note that you can paint with this acrylic paint over oil paint only if there are no cracks and chips in the old coating. Only under these conditions, you can be sure that the acrylic composition will reliably lay on top of the oil layer.
Before you apply the paint material, it is necessary to carefully prepare the surface for the work. First of all the surface is ground with a fine grit emery cloth, after that it must be cleaned from dust and dirt. Then the surface is degreased and after complete drying, you can begin painting.
For maximum results, acrylic paint should be applied in several layers.
If the old oil coating is cracked or began to peel, before applying acrylic paint, it is better to thoroughly clean and prepare the surface for the application of new material.